I have lived in Texas all my life, and no other subject has filled me with both fear and awe at the same time like Texas storms do. This powerful weather phenomenon has always inspired me. The storms themselves are a work of art. Powerful winds aloft sculpt the towers into magnificent shapes and structures. Lightning lights up the night sky like an Independence Day celebration, and the booming thunder seems to echo forever. All of these factors are orchestrated like a symphony in the heavens. “Majestic Noise” is the name of this performance, and I am its audience. I love photographing and experiencing these storms. It is my passion, my calling, and my mission. When the severe weather rolls in, I go out to listen for that “Majestic Noise!”

Monday, October 11, 2010

10/10/10 Chase...

 SPC Day 1 Convective Outlook. Slight Risk



Yesterday we had some unseasonal weather erupt over western north Texas and Oklahoma. An upper level storm system was moving to the south/south east into southern KS and OK. A stationary front developed over western OK and the TX panhandle. Weak instability limited the amount of severe weather and despite the meager dewpoints (55+) we still had severe weather. Storms fired up along the stationary front and moved in the moisture/instability axis, intensifying as they fed off the moisture. Anadarko got hit with an incredible hail storm. Around 6:00 I left work and headed out for Quanah, TX. An isolated severe thunderstorm developed and was moving at only 20kts. I caught up to the storm just before sunset, but after sundown is when the real show began. I was able to capture an intense CG lightning barrage. See the report below.

Thanks for the support.

-Ben


 SPC tornado graphic for Day 1. Not how there is no outlined area. With the lack of deep moisture and strong instability there wasn't much of a tornado threat.


 Hail and wind was another story, however. SPC Hail and Wind Day 1 outlook.

 Around 3:00 the SPC issued a mesoscale discussion for western north TX and OK. Shortly after, a severe thunderstorm watch was issued.
 Severe thunderstorm in Foard county. I am all the way back in Wichita Falls. Its about 6:30 and the sun sets around 7:30. The storm is a little over 80 miles away.

 I do a little driving and I make it to Vernon, TX. The sun is fixing to set so I pull over to shoot some distant structure shots.

 This was probably a very nice looking updraft on this storm, but sadly I am unable to capture it during the daylight.

 The sun goes down, but the sky is just as bright! This storm was very electric.


 Beautiful branching on these CG lightning strikes.

 By far my favorite from this day.

 Here you can see the updraft base (background) and a little structure on this storm.

Updraft base and heavy rain/hail core (to the right).

 Looking at the radar we see a nice looking hook echo. The RFD was strong with this storm. As the storm occludes a few downbursts occur.

 Downburst! Watching how quickly the rain was moving, I estimated around 60mph. You can see the rain fall back in the updraft base.

 More insane CG lightning.




 I closed the shutter a little too quickly in this one. These are the negative leaders that are trying to make contact. I missed the positive return strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment